Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tired of Snow

Yep. Officially tired of snow. I don't tire of it easily. I love snow. I love cold weather! But right now I would dearly love to be out planting a bed full of snap dragons. Well, maybe not RIGHT NOW. It is 1:30a.m. Kind of dark for planting. But you get the idea. I want to feel the warm, moist dirt in my hands. I want to see the plants returning to their full glory, showing off heavy blooms and filling the air with their heady fragrance. I want to sit on the porch with friends and kids and grandchildren. I want to pluck a sprig of lemon balm and stick it under my nose. I want a pitcher full of lilacs adorning my kitchen table again. It's time. Almost.


One of the first signs of spring is the arrival of Ben. (Any robin will do. They're all named Ben.) Every year, it was almost a contest of who would see Ben first. One of the kids would come running to tell me that Ben was 'home'... and there was great rejoicing! One year, I tried my hand at building a birdhouse for Ben. A wonderful thing with many doors, a good sturdy roof and a porch. Silly bird didn't care for the inside of the house and built a nest on the porch. (See photo above.) But I can't really blame Ben. I'd rather sleep on my porch than inside during the summer too... if it weren't for bugs and raccoons and skunks and mountain lions and bears. Oh my. Okay, I'm not really much of a camper, but it sounds nice in theory. I have no doubt that in Heaven I'll be an avid camper. There won't be any creepy crawly things there. And I won't look like a chicken dinner to whatever critters are about!

We're supposed to have snow showers tomorrow. It's time for an oldie but goodie happy song...

No comments:

Post a Comment